Lymphatic Health Centre
Facilitating Positive Outcomes as Your Partner in Change
Swelling Solutions Offers Breast Cancer-Related Lymphedema Surveillance
Catharine Burt RN, BScN, RMT, CDT has designed an early awareness program for individuals going through treatment for breast cancer. The PROACTIVE MEASURES PROGRAM is the first program in Ontario designed to help detect complications of breast cancer treatment early. Ideally, you would be seen before treatment begins for assessment of shoulder range of motion and limb circumference. Our research grade BIA machine helps to assess fluid levels and body composition as you regain strength. Following you through treatment allows us to pick up on changes and give you education about lymphedema, getting ready for radiation treatments and identify complications that may need referrals to other healthcare professionals. Lymphedema, a chronic condition of swelling can occur anytime after treatment depending on your risk factors. However, research has shown that it occurs within the first two years after treatment. Therefore, we will assess anyone at anytime after treatment as well. The possibility of getting lymphedema can cause anxiety and lead some people to start wearing compression garments when they may not be needed. We help you to navigate through this decision and only recommend compression when the evidence tells us you need it. Contact Catharine Burt for more information. (519) 749-0102
LEARN HOW TO TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR LYMPHEDEMA.
At Swelling Solutions, we believe that like any chronic condition, it is important for you to manage it at home. Catharine Burt RN, BScN, RMT, CDT has developed a self-assessment protocol that you need to learn.
What will you learn?
- Foundational knowledge of the lymphatic system, how it works and what causes disruption of flow.
- How to assess your limb size, limb tissue consistency, movement, mood and compression so that you can continue living your awesome life with lymphedema.
-You will be given tools for self-treatment based on your self- assessment that incorporate your whole self (physical/emotional/mental and spiritual wellbeing)
Why should you take this self-assessment journey?
1. It will save you money and precious time. We believe that as your therapists, we are resources for you and that you can manage your lymphedema if you have the right tools. This means you utilize our knowledge to become your own therapist. We are here for you when you need us, but can maintain your lymphedema at home.
2. Learning this protocol will help you discover changes that occur over time in their early stages and teach you what you can do and when to seek help.
PLEASE NOTE: Swelling Solutions has moved to the medical professional building at 564 Belmont Ave.
Swelling Solutions will be closed from Friday August 18, 2023 until Tuesday September 5, 2023. Feel free to book your appointment with us online above.
Introducing BRIO Health Group. A division of Swelling Solutions offfering Registered Massage Therapy, Lymphatic Drainage Massage (for general health and after cosmetic surgery), Reiki, Reflexology, CST and Manual Osteopathy. Call Now!
Located at 665 Belmont Ave. W. (519) 749-8543.
WE HAVE SPACE AVAILABLE FOR HEALTH PRACTITIONERS...COME JOIN OUR TEAM!
- Ongoing Monthly WorkshopsCall Catharine (519) 841-9759 to registerOngoing Monthly WorkshopsCall Catharine (519) 841-9759 to registerOngoing Monthly WorkshopsCall Catharine (519) 841-9759 to registerThese workshops give you up to date information on how to assess and monitor your lymphedema using a 6-step method developed by Catharine Burt RN, BScN, RMT, CDT. Available as a package to save you $$. They are ongoing so you can participate at your convenience.